How do You Properly Change Your Address with USCIS?


After the case is filed, it is very important that each individual update their address with USCIS.  If you do not receive your mail, your case could be denied, and you could be removed from the United States.

When do we need to update our address with USCIS?

You are required to update your address within 10 days of moving.  However, if your mailing address changes, you should update it with USCIS immediately.

How do we update our address with USCIS?

USCIS states that individuals with a myUSCIS account can change their address through their online portal.

For clients without a myUSCIS account, changes in address should be registered via this page Online Change of Address USCIS [according to the instructions below].

For marriage based adjustment of status cases, you will generally need to file an online change of address submission for; 1) the US citizen, and; 2) the immigrant spouse. You must submit an online change of address for BOTH the US citizen and the immigrant. Each person will have case numbers for which a change of address must be submitted.

You will need to update the following receipt numbers for the US citizen.

♦  Receipt No. for Form I-130


You will need to update the following receipt numbers for the immigrant spouse.

♦ Receipt No. for Form I-485

♦ Receipt No. for Form I-765

♦ Receipt No. for Form I-131


Where to I find the receipt number for each?

The couple will receive a Form I-797C, Notice of Action – basically just a receipt – for each form types listed above.  There will be a box with “Receipt Number” listed.  This is the number that must be updated online with USCIS.  Each individual can update all of their form numbers at once.


Will we receive a confirmation of address change?

Once you submit the online change of address form, you will be able to print a confirmation number.  You will also immediately receive an email confirmation via the email provided.  Save your confirmation number!

In approximately three weeks, you should receive confirmation by mail at your new address that your change of address went through.  If you do not, you should also call USCIS at 1 (800) 375-5283 to verify that the address has been changed.

What else should we do?

Make sure that the post man or woman knows you live at your new address so that they do not return your mail to USCIS on accident.  You can do this with a note in the mailbox, etc.  You should also sign up for Informed Delivery with the post office so that you are aware of incoming mail.

Finally, you should have mail forwarded from your old address to your new address.  USCIS will generally instruct the post office not to forward mail, however, so you should not rely on forwarding.